Top 10 trending Tinder bio for Indian Gen Z in 2020
The lockdown due to the pandemic made us all go digital, and the young men and women got more creative on the networking and online dating app Tinder.
At a time when people were stuck to their homes and real-life was on pause, members took to the app to socialize in 2020. Gen Z used the app to chat, meet, hang out, and swap creative date hacks and shrugging while maintaining a physical distance.
Tinder users came out with more creative thoughts on their profiles to show who they are and what they care about. So here are the 10 most popular trends that happened on Tinder in 2020:
- Pandemic pick-up lines took over the dating app. Mention of “quarantine & chill” took off in March, as lockdown misery inspired creative one-liners in the spirit of “Let’s be like Covid and catch each other or Wash your hands so you can hold mine.
- “Masks became new dating essentials. The members were “Down to mask up and meet up”, with mask mentions up nearly 2.5x by April 2020 and mentions for mask-wearing emoticons went up almost 5x by April 2020 from the beginning of the pandemic.
- Tinder was the place to share collective 2020 stories. The most-used emoji was the shrugging emoticon, as members showed uncertainty about the future. And it was on the app like this: “Maybe we’ll have a chance to meet up in 2020, but honestly who knows.”
- WAP brought unapologetic body positivity to the bios. In August, WAP by Cardi B was quick to be the #1 anthem on Tinder and held through 2020, inspiring many to put themselves out there and share their own dance moves.
- Support for Causes held strong: 2019 had ‘environment’ as a top trending word in bios and come 2020 the pandemic did not put a brake on the dating app community’s support for climate change. Mentions of Climate Change more than doubled in 2020 from 2019.
- We found hope in shared experiences: For the first time, everyone realized going through the same things together and they found solace in shared activities. This reflected on Tinder with Dalgona Coffee, Bored in the House, and Banana bread finding themselves in Tinder bios sharing of quarantine trends around the world.
- People were left in a cold mess: As India collectively cried while watching Kasoor, Tinder members took to their profiles to include the song in their bios.
- Gamers overpowered in 2020: Overpower saw a significant increase in bio mentions up to 3X from 2019. Gaming was popular as a theme on Tinder profiles in 2020 with mentions of Ludo also rising significantly early in the year.
- Vocal for Local: Baba Ka Dhaba made its 2020 debut on social media and on Tinder member’s bios.
- ‘Rasode Main Kaun Tha’ 2020 Mystery solving quiz: A viral meme that was even used by celebrities, the Rasode Main Kaun Tha tune also grabbed attention by the Tinderattis.