Computer security is the protection of computer systems and networks from the theft of or damage to their hardware, software, or electronic data
Computers have become a part of our daily lives. Protecting computers is vital to maintain security of all the information and data. With the technological advancements, security breaches have also increased. To spread awareness about the importance of Computer Security, November 30th each year is observed as Computer Security Day. The safety of organizations and people online is very important.
In the 1980s, the number computers were increasing at a high rate. Thus, the need to invest in computer security was also high. Office data, vital documents of schools, universities, businesses, hospitals, etc. were being stored in computers. The birth of viruses and hacking was way before the modern computer days. The increasing use of computers meant increase in cybercrimes. The computers were at higher risk when banks, government offices, etc. started using them. The security of computers and its data was understood to be of prime importance. In 1988, Computer Security Day was launched by the Association for Computer Security. Ever since, this day has intended to create awareness about computer security.
The primary way to celebrate this day is by ensuring that your computers are secure along with the data in it. Regular updates, password changes, stay updated with online security, etc. can be done to keep your computer safe. There are a few ways to celebrate this day:
- Enable the Windows Update so that the computer keeps updating itself in regular intervals
- Back up data on this day each year, so that in case of any mishap your data is still available
- Change passwords of all the computers and do not write it down anywhere
- Use strong passwords with uppercase, lowercase, numbers, special characters, etc.
- Clear browser history and temporary internet files timely
- Delete unused applications